Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Capturing Hopes

I know I'm in good company with so many others who have a heart for children.  They are truly blessings, gifts to be cherished- every single one of them!  And my heart goes out to those whose circumstances are less than desirable.  If only we could scoop them all up and make life for them as it should be!

Last week a client contacted me to see if I would be available and willing to go to the YMCA camp in Boone, IA where the Children's Cancer Connection camp was going to be held for siblings of children affected by cancer this week.  A wonderful organization called Capturing Hopes enlists photographers to take pictures of each child at the camp as well as a couple other events they hold throughout the year.  The images taken are then printed and given to the families at no cost to them!  What an amazing gift for families going through such difficult times and who know just how valuable each and every moment with their kids is!  I was thrilled, honored and very excited to be given the opportunity to be a part of the wonderful things these organizations are doing to reach out to this community.

The kids at this camp are age 5-18 and many have been coming for several years (as one 10 year old informed me, "it wasn't his first rodeo"- what a hoot!).  All of them were so full of life, personality and beauty- such a joy to work with.  There were 6 total photographers on site to photograph around 150 kids.  Needless to say it was a busy and exhausting day, but oh so rewarding!  We got to work with each one for about 10-15 minutes, just long enough to produce 10-15 portraits of each.


I had such a good day and I feel so blessed by the experience.  I can only hope they will ask me back.  In the mean time, check out their websites- maybe you'll feel called to lend a hand in some way.  Pray for these families that either are dealing with childhood cancer now or have in the past.  And most importantly- give your own kiddos a big hug and give thanks for the blessings they bring to your life.

1 comment: